Grand Rapids Bar Association
POSITION: Communications Specialist
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
FLSA: Non-exempt Part-time
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. They will be required to follow any other instruction and to perform any other duties to fulfill the mission of the Association.
GENERAL FUNCTION: Under the direct supervision of the Executive Director, this incumbent is responsible for all communications activities on behalf of the Grand Rapids Bar Association and is responsible for supporting and driving the association’s communications strategy. Responsibilities will include writing and editing effective internal /external communications tailored to different audiences, utilizing varied communication vehicles, and assisting various committees with project and communication support.
1. Responsible for drafting various communications materials, such as the association newsletter, news articles and memos.
2. Handle administrative functions such as print and electronic distribution list management. Foster vendor and printer relations in order to meet deadlines.
3. Oversee the production schedule and distribution of print and electronic communications. Maintain editorial calendar.
4. Design and develop communication materials, including presentations, talking points and reference materials that support various initiatives.
5. Assist in the development and execution of key events and organizational changes, as necessary.
6. Manage and contribute content for the association’s membership directory and internet home page.
7. Creates and develops visual presentations for the Executive Director. Types and designs general correspondences, memos, charts, graphs, business plans, Newsletters, e-briefs etc. Proofreads copy for spelling, grammar, and layout, making appropriate changes. Responsible for accuracy and clarity of final copy.
8. Types, edits, proofs, and coordinates the preparation and distribution of all promotional materials.
9. Manages and maintains confidential marketing and general Association files.
10. Manages and updates the Association’s marketing data base of contacts including Christmas card list, press release, and mailing lists.
11. Respond to communications inquiries as appropriate.
QUALIFICATIONS: Associates Degree or equivalent related experience required.
Work requires strong verbal and written communications. Must have knowledge of a variety of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, database, and presentation software and proficient in using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher). Must be able to proofread and edit content. Candidates must be detail-oriented and highly organized. Must be a team player but able to work independently and collaborate with cross functional teams. Must have knowledge of secretarial/office administrative procedures, and knowledge of use and operation of standard office equipment at a level generally acquired through 1+ years related experience. Incumbent must have high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. Position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy. Some analytical ability is required in order to gather and summarize data for reports, find solutions to various administrative problems, and prioritize work. Work required continual attention to detail in composing, typing, and proofing materials; establishing priorities; and meeting deadlines.