Job Openings at the Grand Rapids Bar Association
POSITION: Administrative Assistant
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
FLSA: Non-exempt - Part-time
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. They will be required to follow any other instruction and to perform any other duties to fulfill the mission of the Association.
GENERAL FUNCTION: Under direct supervision of the Executive Director, incumbent is responsible for preparing the Grand Rapids Bar Association’s office for opening/closing during the designated business hours. Serving as Administrative Assistant for the office, this individual manages the Association’s phone lines, handles calls, routes to appropriate individual or takes messages. Ensures customers, vendors, and employees are handled in a professional and courteous manner. Incumbent assists with managing the foundation, committees and planning events.
PRINCIPLE ACCOUNTABILITIES: Incumbent answers the Association’s main phones, sorts and distributions Association mail, and greets visitors. Provides secretarial support for the Executive Director by coordinating the completion of typing, editing, proofing, and filing as requested.
- Prepares and maintains the Association’s activities and events lists and distributes as required to appropriate staff. May make travel arrangements as requested.
- Receives calls, mail, and faxes for the Association’s staff; some, which may be highly confidential.
- Administers distribution of the Association’s mail. Screens mail for the Executive Director and records checks received.
- Plans and coordinates arrangements for special functions including the management and tracking of invitations and tickets.
- Delivers and/or coordinates the delivery of Association’s outgoing mail. This includes copying, collating, stuffing, and mailing correspondence of all types. Prepare and send bulk mailings.
- Assists committees as requested with planning, coordinating meetings and special events.
- Maintains donor records for the Justice Foundation, and provides reports as requested.
- Responds to grievance letters and provides monthly update to Executive Director.
- Coordinates and prepares materials for committee meetings, activities, and other events as needed.
- Responds to questions from members and the general public.
- Assists with general member communications as needed.
- Coordinates meal arrangements and set-up for meetings. Clears conference room following meetings and break room clean-up.
- Assists with registration at meetings and other events as needed.
- Runs errands to nearby law offices, the courts, and to the bank.
- Establishes and maintains the Association’s historical files.
- Secures and maintains office inventory/supplies.
- Prepares and maintains the Associations activity and event lists/calendar.
- Maintains the Executive Director’s schedule as well as schedule and organize complex activities such as meetings, travel, conferences and association activities for GRBA staff.
- Light data entry and general office duties
- Maintains and updates filing system for Executive Director and the general office. Retrieves information files when needed.
- Maintains social media sites for the grabLAW initiative.
- Maintains JFWM financials, including; monthly reconciliation, accounts receivable and payable, and prepares for yearly review.
QUALIFICATIONS: Any combination of training, education and experience which demonstrates an ability to perform the duties of the position. Work requires strong verbal and written communications. Must have knowledge of a variety of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, database, and presentation software and proficient in using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher). Must be able to proofread and edit content. Candidates must be detail-oriented and highly organized. Must be a team player but able to work independently and collaborate with cross functional teams. Must have knowledge of secretarial/office administrative procedures, and knowledge of use and operation of standard office equipment at a level generally acquired through 3+ years related experience. Incumbent must have high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
Position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy. Some analytical ability is required in order to gather and summarize data for reports, find solutions to various administrative problems, and prioritize work. Work required continual attention to detail in composing, typing, and proofing materials; establishing priorities; and meeting deadlines. Clear criminal background and customer-oriented attitude.
This position is high profile and incumbent is the first person seen when guest enters the GRBA office. Incumbent must be able to manage a multi-line phone system, take charge of incoming/outing mail, and possess A+ customer service skills. Is organized, sets priorities, and meets deadlines, able to multi-task. Carefully proof own work, is able to handle multiple projects at one time, takes initiative, dependable, and takes pride in work. Appearance/personality must be professional, upbeat and energetic.
To apply, please send a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com by December 19, 2014.